Friday, April 15, 2011

life sometimes is unexpected.

((the title for this post was inspired by a show i love called life unexpected. if you haven't seen it, drop whatever you are doing at this moment and go watch it))

so just like countless other freshman at college i have changes my major more times that i hoped i would. and although this is no new feeling, and plenty of people have experienced it, its much different when you are actually living through it. i have no idea what major i want, and no idea how to achieve what i want in life. i went to a academic counselor to have some help with the direction i want to go with school...and it was the least helpful meeting of my life. He had nothing to say that helped me, and basically it just showed me how no one can pick my direction in life, its something i have to decide on my own. but it was frustrating to say the least. i walked out of that little room feeling more helpless than ever. i may have even started to feel as if i would never ever find a major, get a job, or basically be a successful human being. but of course that would be super over-dramatic, so i would never do that...Then just hours later, i walked into my ASL class, (which ended up being canceled because our teacher never showed up) and i was talking to one of my friends in that class, and she asked about what i wanted to major in. i confessed that i had no idea, but then told her what i eventually wanted to get a job in and do with my life. she then told me about her sister in law, who majored in accounting and does it for nonprofit organizations. it instantly sounded perfect. nothing i had encountered thus far made me excited, nothing sounded right of the bat. all the other majors i've considered have been something i try to force myself to accept, and eventually after enough convincing to myself that it will work, i try it out. but this just seemed like it would be perfect with me without any other thoughts. it is not set in stone yet, but i may just possibly major in accounting with a minor in international development. it will be a super intense program, but i know if its something i'm excited about and looking forward to, i can succeed in it. i may not end up doing it, but as of right now it makes me very anxious and happy for the future. let me just say, i'm thankful for the people Heavenly Father places by my that make my life as beautiful as it is.

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be."
— Douglas Adams

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go..."
— Dr. Seuss

"Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love."
— Mother Teresa

1 comment:

Taylor said...

sister...i am happy for you and for the decision you've made at this point in your life! to me, this choice just seems to FIT! :)

and how funny...i was about to write on yuor FB: "please do a blog post...i miss reading them!" and then you posted. so thank you.

XOXO